I've turned a corner and after having meals brought to us by dear friends for a whole month (thank you!) I have gotten back into the swing of things and started meal planning again. For dinner last night I made this new recipe from Martha Stewart and it was quick and easy to get preparations done in advance.
BROWN-RICE BOWL WITH SHRIMP, SNOW PEAS AND AVOCADO
• Coarse salt and ground pepper
• 1 c. uncooked long-grain brown rice
• 1/4 c. soy sauce (I use the GF brand, Tinkyada)
• 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice (from 1 to 2 lemons)
• 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
• 2 tsp. light-brown sugar
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 lb. peeled and deveined medium shrimp, thawed if frozen
• 1/2 lb. snow peas, trimmed and halved on the diagonal
• 1 (1-in.-long) piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks (I just used 1 teaspoon of dried)
• 1 Hass avocado, pitted and cut into chunks
In a large saucepan, bring 2 cups salted water to a boil. Add rice; cover, reduce heat to low and cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 45 to 50 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl or liquid-measuring cup, stir together soy sauce, lemon juice, vinegar and brown sugar until sugar is dissolved. Set sauce aside.
When rice has finished cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, snow peas and ginger; season with salt and pepper. Cook until shrimp are opaque throughout and snow peas are bright green, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Divide rice among four bowls. Top with shrimp mixture and avocado; serve sauce on the side.