2.25.2009

How My Slow Cooker Changed my Life

So when we first got married. I had a hang up. When we started our wedding registry for some reason I felt obligated to register for a slow cooker (and I got not just one but two of them at my bridal shower!). It just seemed like something every wife needs, but for whatever reason, for two years of our marriage I steered clear of the slow cooker. I didn't really want anything to do with it, so it sat in our pantry out of the box, but still protected with the styrofoam. That all changed a few weeks ago.

Life has been really busy, exceptionally so and meal times have been a throw something together as fast as you can and hope for something that actually tastes good. Hannah, started off her first few months of marriage doing a crock pot meal almost once a week and really inspired me (and did I forget to mention everything she made smelled so good?!). So I broke it out and tried a recipe. I wasn't crazy about it at first and for whatever reason I gave it another try and it was amazing. I'm hooked!

I'm starting to meal plan for two weeks and not only has it changed my life as far as meal preparation goes, using my slow cooker on nights we go to the gym has been such a blessing. I come home from work and workout and dinner is ready to go on the table. No measuring ingredients, pulling things out of the fridge, chopping up this and that. Victory!

So my weekly recipe posts are now going to include recipes for the slow cooker now and then (and gluten free too!).

Enjoy this one from Martha this week...

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

1 tablespoon cornstarch
8 medium carrots, cut into thirds
2 medium onions, each cut into 8 wedges
6 potatoes, cut into chunks (I added these in)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 beef chuck roast (3 pounds), trimmed of excess fat
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1. In slow cooker, stir together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water until smooth. Add carrots and onions; season with salt and pepper, and toss.
2. Sprinkle roast with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; place on top of vegetables, and drizzle with Worcestershire. Cover; cook on high, 6 hours (or on low, 10 hours).
3. Transfer roast to a cutting board; thinly slice against the grain. Place vegetables in a serving dish; pour pan juices through a fine-mesh sieve, if desired. Serve roast with vegetables and pan juices.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

This inspires me, Jan! I loved my slow-cooker when I was working, but now that I am home with the kiddos, it doesn't make as many appearances. I will benefit from you gluten-free recipes, for sure! Keep 'em comin' :)

read this post here said...

hilarious. you have a great page.

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs