8.09.2008

Yumminess

A friend from out West and her hubby are eating gluten free for the summer so I promised to keep the recipes coming.

I had been looking for good homemade sauces instead of eating the kind out of the jar due to some of the ingredients and these were fantastic. They are another great find even for those who don't eat the way we do (and did I mention super easy too?).

Classic Basil Marinara from Rachel Ray

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 or 7 leaves fresh basil, torn or shredded (I used about 12 or so)

To a small saucepot over moderate heat add oil, garlic and onions. Saute onions and garlic 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and season sauce with salt and pepper. Simmer sauce 5 minutes and stir in basil leaves.

Pesto from Gourmet

3 large garlic cloves
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, coarsely grated (2/3 cup)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups loosely packed fresh basil
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

With food processor running, drop in garlic and finely chop. Stop motor and add nuts, cheese, salt, pepper, and basil, then process until finely chopped. With motor running, add oil, blending until incorporated.

Pesto keeps, its surface covered with plastic wrap, chilled, 1 week. There is plenty to make a pasta dish for two and then have leftovers for a meal during that week.

Voila!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so kind to me! I can't wait to make both. I've had a hankering for pesto.

What do you do for pasta? Is there gluten-free pasta?

Seth and Janet said...

You can do corn pasta(I have only been able to find it at Whole Foods) or brown rice pasta.

Corn is a new favorite and I think we like it even better than regular pasta.

I hope you enjoy them!

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs